Monday, April 02, 2007

So long, Om Sony...

It was Thursday, March 15, 2007.
Dad was at home. His stomach ulcer was giving him a hard time, and it was his second day off from work.
I went with Mom in the afternoon to check on some furniture stores; I need a book shelf for my room.About 3 pm, Dad called, telling us that Om Sony had been taken to hospital; he had a stroke early in the morning. “His condition has worsened,” he said.

Mom and I reached RS Pusat Pertamina at about 5 pm.
Tante Rina looked so pale. She whispered weakly to my ear: “Indri, your uncle’s condition is bad. Please pray for him.”
A few minutes later, Tante Rina told me that the doctors told her that Om Sony must undergo an operation. Without operation, he had no chance to survive. If the operation succeeded, only 10-15% of his brain would still function. But, considering the condition of his heart and kidney, the risk of operation is very high.

I couldn’t say anything. I believe that God can perform any miracle and that only God knows what’s best for Om Sony. I could only pray that God will give the best for my beloved uncle, whatever the best actually means.

About 5.30 pm, we were allowed to meet Om Sony. One by one, each of us took turns, while Tante Rina stayed inside the room, beside him. He was unconscious. Too much blood had spilled into his brain.

Shortly after 6 pm, Tante Rina burst out and told us how worried she was. The ICU door was left open. At that moment I could see the doctors were trying to pump his heart. It has stopped beating. Tante Rina, Kak Tessa, Tante Yaya and I went in.
We stood there, about a meter from Om Sony. Looking at him, trying to let him know how we really love him...
And he passed away. At 6.10 pm.
My most beloved uncle, my second Dad.

I couldn’t sleep that night. I’d been crying a lot. I asked myself: “What am I crying for?”
He’s in a much better place now.
He’s no longer in pain.
He’s sleeping peacefully, waiting to be buried, and to be with the Creator.
This is the answer of our prayers: Allah has chosen the best path for my uncle.

So I shouldn’t feel sad.
But there’s another feeling that I can’t deny, and that is regret.
I regret that I didn’t spend more time with him after my return from Hamburg.
I regret that I didn’t hug Om Sony the last time we said goodbye, which was on Wednesday, a day before this all happened.
I regret that I didn’t have the chance to return his kindness… for he has been so kind and caring…
I couldn’t even treat him a nice lunch or dinner together yet… for I haven’t got my first salary.

Life goes on. I will miss you so much Om Sony.
I will cherish all the beautiful memories I had of you.

I was 8 years old… a picnic with you and Tante Rina at Kebun Raya Bogor…
I was 9… a picnic to Puncak to Yangti’s villa. I urgently needed to go to the toilette, digestion problem…traffic jam… you and Tante Rina tried to comfort me… you told me to put a rubber band around my toe, that might help…
I was (maybe 11, not sure), you took Kak Netta and me to watch Indiana Jones at Dynasty. You accidentally wore your t-shirt inside-out. We laughed at you, and you took off your t-shirt and wore it again correctly, in front of everyone at the cinema… you’re truly one of a kind…
I was at Junior high school, so busy with PMR and having crushes… you often teased me… I still couldn’t understand how you know their names…
Nice food at your place… always… and sometimes I felt so full that I just had to unbutton or unzip my pants. You told me that next time I better wear training pants…



It was beginning of 2004; I was in my room on Grumbrechtstrasse, reading an email from you. You told me that you were very sorry but you had to cancel your plan of visiting me in Germany. You must have a heart surgery (your second one). I was shocked. I prayed that everything will be okay and that I want to meet you again. I want to meet you after I finish my study.

And God has fulfilled my prayer that night… I thank God that I can meet you again in Jakarta…

So long Om Sony…

You were a wonderful person…for all your friends and colleagues…
A very special husband, uncle, brother, son, for all of us, your family…
Very full of life, funny, very passionate about your job…
Very kind and caring…

I pray that Allah will always bless and take good care of you, and of Tante Rina.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ena, turut berduka cita!! Semoga almarhum diangkat ke Surga Firdaus, amien..

ME said...

Amien... makasih Indra.
Apa kabar di Changchun? Apa ketiga KFC sudah dijajal?
I really miss gossiping with you!