Monday, June 22, 2009

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset

I believe one of the reasons why we like to read or watch movies is because we want to be inspired. Our life may be too monotonous, routine, and predictable sometimes, that we become thirsty of new experience and are welcoming the opportunities of tasting how the life outside our little world is.

It’s like, living our own life is not enough, I wanna know how others live theirs… I wanna know others’ fantasies on how others live.

Well, that’s what I think. At least it’s true for me.

Speaking of which, off course the list of inspiring books and movies will never have an end, and it will also be person- and time-related. But I suppose I’m allowed to mention a few on my list that I can think of right now, maybe any of you has the time and interest to check them out…

1. Eat, love, pray, a book by Elizabeth Gilbert

2. The art of travel, a book by Alain de Botton

3. Before Sunrise, and the sequel Before Sunset (two nice movies)

Have you ever been in a “one-thing-leads-to-another” moment? I mean, the kind of moments that you realize things happen as the consequence of a series of events in the past?

It was like the day when my passport was held by the Amsterdam airport police. Oh, never mind.

Anyway, how I ended up watching these 2 movies are an example. An old friend recommended me some years ago to watch a movie called Before Sunrise. I didn’t even bother to look up what it’s about. Then I read somewhere or in someone’s blog that this movie, Before (or after) sunrise had inspired her. Was reminded of my old friend’s advice. This all happened years ago.

Yesterday I went alone to the DVD rental. Normally I went with a friend, and we usually pick the films quickly. But yesterday I had time to look around, and since the DVDs that I wanted were all rented, I need to look in the section of older films. Then I saw it, Before Sunset… Got puzzled as I couldnt remember was it Before/after sunrise that my friend advised me years back? Or was it sunrise/sunset?? Heck, how come they made movies with titles that are so similar? Funny cause I’ve been to the store several times but have never seen it before. So I took it and watched it last night. Watched the prequel Before Sunrise on youtube this morning.

Yeah, it’s inspiring, the two of them. Must note that the 2nd movie was made 9 years after the first, which aligns to the story too, the couple met 9 years after their first meeting.

The reason why I’m mentioning these moments that are the consequences of events in the past is… because, it makes me see how things in the past have been irregularly arranged so that a certain moment can happen at certain time.  Not before, nor after.

Perhaps there’s a reason for it…

There’s always the best time for everything… right? It’s been arranged.

Among other things, the movies reminded me how I used to be so young and excited about life, so full of dreams, and how I was not afraid of anything, of taking risks and chances, of having feelings for others… how those years have slipped through my fingers…

I dont wanna be old, numb and bitter… No, no, no, no, no, no…

Must get the old me back…

No comments: