Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My first day in Balikpapan

Yes, here I am, in Balikpapan!

Do you wonder how come I'm here? Well, I do too!! It all started about two weeks ago, when my visa for Argentina was not yet ready, and I advised my boss that we start making a contingency plan, cause I need to leave Brazil before 17th of November. Indonesians dont need a visa to stay in Chile, Peru, and Colombia for less than 90 days, so I thought an option would be to send me to a location in one of those countries, as this was also considered before when my tourist visa was about to expire. My company has more activities in Colombia, and my N+2 and N+3 are Colombians, so it seems there's a possibility that I'm going there. Strangely, my boss and his boss seemed reluctant with this idea. (Well, dont ask how I felt... I've heard too about the guerillas and kidnappings and drug cartels there...)

And my boss told me last week (on one sunny beautiful day :D) that he's thinking of sending me to Balikpapan. I am supposed to stay there until my Brazilian working visa is ready. I was surprised and excited off course, and on the other hand, I also think: hey, you should have decided this since 2-3 months ago, sir!! Before I came all the way to Brazil after my vacation! But oh, never mind, better late than never!!

However the plan was only confirmed like on Wednesday last week, cause he need to talk to his boss, and the manager in Balikpapan has to talk with her boss... Long story made short, I left Macae on Saturday, arrived in Jakarta on Monday night, stayed one night at home, and took the morning flight to Balikpapan. Met Antoni at the Balikpapan airport, turned out that we're on the same flight, what a small world!

As always and like I normally am, I am a little bit nervous too right now. Wondering what's gonna happen, can I perform well or meet the expectations etc etc.

Everybody says it should be easier to adapt with everything here, "you've been through worse, in Brazil" the colleagues in Macae told me. Hope that it's true.

Well, my bags are filled with positive energy and optimism. Hope everything's gonna be alright...no, gonna be wonderful here...

2 comments:

aryanimia said...

senangnyaaaa di balikpapan! dont forget my tips for best restaurants ya! you have to taste them! :) kalo spa, dulu gue sukanya ke prameswari atau novotel. you should also try sometimes!

ME said...

Mim, kemaren gue diajakin nya ke Majesty. Asik bgt, 1 paket udah pijet, sauna, steam, whirlpool, plus dapet makan. :D
Novotel nyobain buffetnya, enak juga.
Balikpapan enak Mim, ga dusun2 atau pelosok2 banget :) Jauh mendingan dibanding Sao Mateus :))